Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v011.n012

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 10:23:58 +0000

J. Shultz asks about pedophilia--I don't think so--and about Sev's double
dose of wounds, which I think will be answered by several, so I won't get
into it, and also this:

>Here's another question:
>What does Sev wake in the cave of the Man-Apes?  Is it related to the
>mentioning of a beast whoose mouth is a cave entrance so that those who
>enter are dead in its belly without knowing it?  Is it Arioch or Scylla
(was
>Scylla the one in the cave or the one in the whirlpool)?

We never get an answer to this, and it is *most* annoying. The sound is
scary and portentous. He asks Jonas about it when he tells him of the
adventure, and Jonas tells him that the monsters are water-bound but that
they have "servants."  And then later Sev comes out with one of those
sententious statements--"I know now what the Claw had awakened" (I
paraphrase, being too lazy to look it up)--and that's that, unless I've
missed something. It breaks Chekhov's rule (If you brandish a gun in the
first act and have not discharged it by the third, the audience will never
forgive you). Grrrr.

-alga-

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/