Subject: (urth) Is this a clue?

From: William Graham <cyfyguy at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 00:52:50 +0000

Does anyone else question Sev's honesty based on the absence of a reasonable reaction of the other characters in the scene? For example, in the very first chapter of TBotNS...um...how come none of the Volunteers say, "say...how come you 'gallipots' are all wet (from swimming in Gyoll)..."?

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:18:25 +0000

For a narrator in Wolfe to be actually stretching truth, there's usually a
reason.  Ignorance and lack of self understanding in short sun, denial in
Peace, suppression in Suzanne Delage.  What purpose does that small lack of
realism serve at the start?

The external picture we get of Severian in "the map" shows a badly beaten
Eata half blinded by his blood thinking "Severian had beaten him more than
once ... Worse than Laetus and Syntyche last night ... Now Severian was the
autarch, Severian was the law, and murderers died under the law's hand"

Cruelty and excessive order. Thus if Severian is unreliable, it is most
probably in asking for the obedience of his subjects - areas that stress
"we obey" and place his ascension as part of a preordained path from the
start.

On Monday, August 18, 2014, William Graham <cyfyguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else question Sev's honesty based on the absence of a
> reasonable reaction of the other characters in the scene? For example, in
> the very first chapter of TBotNS...um...how come none of the Volunteers
> say, "say...how come you 'gallipots' are all wet (from swimming in
> Gyoll)..."?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net <javascript:;>
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140819/60e48380/attachment.htm>