Subject: (urth) Doctor of Death Island and Cancer

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 13:46:19 +0000

A real quick note: it is thematically important that Alvard is dying of
cancer when he is frozen - cancer is a kind of unlimited cell growth where
a cell line does not stop replicating when it should - a very literal
attempt at unfettered life and immortality which kills the larger
organism.  The immortality of the individuals in society has also killed
its host, humanity as a whole.

Also, when Alvard's Bible asks "Who is the Son of Man?" the dominant
Christian zeitgeist and the prophecy of Daniel and the Ancient of Days
 would have us believe this refers only to Christ, but in reality it is a
term which in its original Jewish sense was meant to differentiate that
which was mortal and in need of repentence from that which was divine or
angelic, immortal and timeless.  Here, the children of men have put aside
that mortality in theory, but they are still dead and dying - they just
don't know it. Christ's use of the term came to represent a Being
both fully human and fully divine, who would even be subject to the
temptations of the flesh and the threat of death and suffering.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140906/f548a333/attachment.htm>