Subject: (urth) Seven American nights and Nadan's failure to recognize the rubaiyat

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 02:58:44 +0000

There is a point well before the replacement point posited by David Tallman
extant on the Wolfe Wiki where the club footed American Actor playing
Kreton quotes some lines about a potter's mistake from the Rubaiyat of
Ommar Kayyam after they watch Mary Rose and Nadan is completely oblivious
of its source, though it is a pretty prominent work of Persian literature.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140907/40a4dea9/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jeffery Wilson clueland.com <jwilson at clueland.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 05:14:03 +0000

On 9/7/2014 9:58 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> There is a point well before the replacement point posited by David
> Tallman extant on the Wolfe Wiki where the club footed American Actor
> playing Kreton quotes some lines about a potter's mistake from the
> Rubaiyat of Ommar Kayyam after they watch Mary Rose and Nadan is
> completely oblivious of its source, though it is a pretty prominent work
> of Persian literature.

As noted in an earlier discussion of the Rubaiyat appearing in the 
forematter of URTH, the English translation considerably differs from 
the original. Wolfe credits translator Fitzgerald rather than Omar 
Khayyam, and in *his* forematter, Fitzgerald calls it transmogrified 
rather than translated.

http://www.therubaiyat.com/compare.html

-- 
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab
< http://www.tamut.edu/cil >