Subject: (urth) VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy

From: Allan Anderson <rubel at goosemoon.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 03:59:40 +0000

Hey, did I miss folks talking about Jeff VanderMeer's latest? Did all three novels really come out this year? Does that mean it's really one great honking novel chopped up into "SF" sized pieces (hmm, that sounds familiar.)

I really enjoyed _City of Saints and Madmen_, but haven't read anything more by him. I'd love to hear what people think.

---

From: Fred Kiesche <godelescherbach at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:27:21 +0000

All three were out this year. I've read the first and found it quite
interesting, a homage to Poe or even van Vogt (how much going on is real or
a dream?). I'm saving the other two up for a long weekend (they are
relatively short, so I can see reading the other two in three days or so).

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Allan Anderson <rubel at goosemoon.org> wrote:

> Hey, did I miss folks talking about Jeff VanderMeer's latest? Did all
> three novels really come out this year? Does that mean it's really one
> great honking novel chopped up into "SF" sized pieces (hmm, that sounds
> familiar.)
>
> I really enjoyed _City of Saints and Madmen_, but haven't read anything
> more by him. I'd love to hear what people think.
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

-- 
F.P. Kiesche III

Husband, Father, Good Cook. Reader. Keeper of abandoned dogs. Catholic
Liberal Conservative Militarist. Does not fit into a neat box or category.
"Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble,
scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with
Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at Bernal
Alpha. On Twitter as @FredKiesche
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140908/7af4c771/attachment.htm>

---

From: Piotr Szczęsny <neternalz at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 12:14:37 +0000

I've also read the first one and liked it very much (instantly preordered
the other two). Authority and Acceptance are waiting for me back home so I
think I , just like Fred, read them soon. This is kind of a Vandermeer year
for me, City was something different but most of the "stories" were
enjoyable (Dradin in Love is still my favourite) but Shriek was great,
loved the double narration.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140908/59201280/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: Fred Kiesche <godelescherbach at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 12:54:31 +0000

I am part of the (now Hugo Award winning) SF Signal Podcast at SF Signal
Dot Com and on the last episode I particiapted in I was asked to suggest a
book for a "group read" and suggested the first of the Southern Reach
trilogy by VanderMeer.

(Alas, the plan was then sideswiped by real life when our host had family
issues hit him but maybe in October?)

So keep an eye out there, at some point we'll all get together and talk
about the book for an episode.

-- 
F.P. Kiesche III

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140908/631c19ce/attachment.htm>

---

From: Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 12:55:37 +0000

I plan on picking up the third volume this evening.  Been a great series so
far.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140908/815ecbcf/attachment.htm>