Subject: (urth) Latro

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:25:57 +0000

Wiktionary lists three meanings for the Latin word "latro":
1. mercenary
2. highwayman; brigand
3. chessman; pawn

I've seen some discussion of Latro's role as a mercenary, somewhat less of
his role as a pawn. But has anyone anything to say about his role as a
brigand?

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20141012/23dadd23/attachment.htm>

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:46:37 +0000

Anything manly or combative is under Latro's provenance, since he is
closely associated with Pleistorus and Ares. In the texts I think much
was made of "Latro" meaning simply something close to soldier ...
brigand might be simply something of a pejorative view of a free
company man of arms.

[ He doesn't have to fit every definition of the word, after all -
might be like trying to take "He lies in bed" as indicating someone
who prevaricates while supine.]