Subject: (urth) Catholic Wolfe

From: Jeffery Wilson clueland.com <jwilson at clueland.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:52:39 +0000

On 10/20/2014 4:40 AM, Allan Lloyd wrote:
> I re-joined the Urth  group a while ago, prompted mostly by Marc’s
> excellent postings on the short stories. I am afraid that I am having my
> patience tested my the interminable discussions of maths and the
> existence of free will. Surely these things would be better talked about
> off-list by the few people concerned.

I could say the same about Catholicism,  but it's better for everyone 
for the disinterested to summon the Herculean effort to click and scroll 
to the next message as needed.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab
< http://www.tamut.edu/cil >

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 23:53:41 +0000

On 25/10/2014 17:52, Jeffery Wilson clueland.com wrote:
> for the disinterested to summon the Herculean effort to click and 
> scroll to the next message as needed.
>
>
There is something to be said for having more specific titles.  Eg. If 
it goes Catholic Wolfe / Catholic Theology, those who care little about 
theology can ignore, those who enjoy it can engage.  We should try to do 
that more.

- Gerry Quinn

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: Jeffery Wilson clueland.com <jwilson at clueland.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 05:21:35 +0000

> theology can ignore, those who enjoy it can engage.  We should try to do

I'm game, but it seems unlikely based on past experience.

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 14:31:18 +0000

>> Jeffery Wilson wrote:

These thread titles live to deceive you, sad experience teaches me.

[Of course, I do think Catholic and historically heretical ideologies are
valid insights into Wolfe's writing - often even interpretational keys.]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20141026/25c30b13/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jeffery Wilson clueland.com <jwilson at clueland.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:37:48 +0000

>     I'm game, but it seems unlikely based on past experience.

I've lead mailing list discussions and peer reviews for a gaming 
publisher, and even a hand-picked panel of referees of games with 
hundreds of pages of rules and an average of more than one university 
degree remained iffy on the concept after a decade.

> [Of course, I do think Catholic and historically heretical ideologies
> are valid insights into Wolfe's writing - often even interpretational keys.]

Likewise, and I stayed politely attentive the first seventeen times 
original sin was deconstructed here, so I think a round of technical 
science once a year or so isn't out of line for a discussion of the 
greatest science fiction author living today, or even just the author of 
"How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion".