Subject: (urth) wolfe playing dirty in sorcerer’s house ...

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 15:29:47 +0000

So there are a few things that didn’t add up in the conclusion of the
sorcerer’s house. One is the funeral of skotos with three guests - one of
them is Mr Black, who Bax concludes is Skotos, though Hardaway does not
recognize him, even though he was good friends with Skotos. That argues
against Skotos being Black. The other is Nick’s story of he and Nicholas
being grown in a trough by mr Black ... clearly either that or his later
identification as zwart  black is a lie.

Bax sees a white horse in the middle of the story. While I wanted to make
this a kelpie kind of spirit, we should remember that the butler of Herod
(anachronistically) has the head of John the Baptist, who proclaimed the
coming of Christ. Bax arrives in January in Medicine Man. Duke at the duchy
of cumberbach makes a compelling case that medicine man is Medicine Hat,
Canada, in which a local legend says that one man sacrificed his wife to
the river to get the hat of the shamans (see the pelt/hair of lupine).
Kipling said the town had all Hell as a basement.

We have Nick and Nicholas and a Greek. St Nicholas was born of a Greek
family. He gives gifts, but more importantly, I feel in doing his research
Wolfe looked up all kinds of house spirits, which include Shinto figures,
kikimora, domovoys ... and, in some versions, Knecht Ruprecht, st nicolas?s
Servant, is associated with kobolds.

Look at this description, and remember that mr Black has a staff he always
carries, a white horse appears, Bax receives gifts, is beaten by a stick,
the prominence of someone pretending to be Mr Black, the double mention of
Nicholas, the position as a butler, and a man dressing up as a woman
(winker is called a He by Ieuan and later Doris thinks the obverse of the
coin features a man rather than a woman), also keeping in mind that The
house is called the devil’s house

?Knecht Ruprecht is Saint Nicholas' most familiar attendant in Germany.
According to some stories, Ruprecht began as a farmhand; in others, he is a
wild foundling <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_abandonment> whom
Saint Nicholas raises from childhood.

Ruprecht wears a black or brown robe with a pointed hood. Sometimes he
walks with a limp, because of a childhood injury. He can be seen carrying a
long staff and a bag of ashes, and on occasion wears little bells on his
clothes.[2]
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knecht_Ruprecht#cite_note-Thorpe-2>Sometimes
he rides on a white horse, and sometimes he is accompanied by fairies or
men with blackened faces dressed as old women.[2]
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knecht_Ruprecht#cite_note-Thorpe-2>

According to Alexander Tille
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Tille>, Knecht Ruprecht
originally represented an archetypal manservant, "and has exactly as much
individuality of social rank and as little personal individuality as the Junker
Hanns and the Bauer Michel, the characters representative of country
nobility and peasantry respectively."[3]
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knecht_Ruprecht#cite_note-tille-3> Tille
also states that Knecht Ruprecht originally had no connection with
Christmastime.[3]
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knecht_Ruprecht#cite_note-tille-3>
Ruprecht was
a common name for the Devil <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil> in
Germany?

Nicholas’s companions are also thought of as kobolds or house spirits. Bad
children are punished by being thrown in sacks and beaten or thrown in the
river.

When bax asks nick if mr Black is dead, a non sequitur on both parts
occurs. He answers “you, um. Sir. Or the boys, sir. Emlyn, I would think.
Or both, sir.”

“I did not kill him, Nick. I have never killed anyone...”

?Sir?? (258)

The question here might indicate that nick is not talking about someone
being killed - and he is saying that perhaps both of the boys are dead,
grammatically. Unfortunately, there are still some aspects this really does
not explain (Ambrosius, whose name means “immortal” being strangled by
Goldwurm and thrown into the river, though Nicholas has hands which
strangle. And how this overlays with Ted Griffin and Doris, though the
names Ted, Ieuan, and Doris all mean “gift” - st Nick gives them, after
all. But at the end there are only lupine and (two) emlyns. Kate Finn and
Cathy Ruth have first names which mean clear or pure - the last name of
Thelma Nabor means to cleanse or purify. The victims of the wolf attack are
Martha murrey’s neighbor and a nurse (she wanted to be a nurse). Finn’s
last name means fair or white - Ruprecht means bright.

Bax rejects the valuable gift he was given and has to pay the price. But
there are still some things, like what happened forty years ago, that make
little sense and require huge amounts of extrapolation. Staff, horse, gift,
blackface (metaphorically), Devil, House spirit and the name Nick might
invoke Ruprecht here, but I don’t think this is very fair.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20180521/6028a9fd/attachment.html>

---

From: Ab de Vos <foxyab at casema.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 08:37:30 +0000

Dutch Sinterklaas has a servant Black Piet usually done in blackface to 
the horror of anti racism activists. It has been quite an issue the last 
few years whereas before nobody seemed to care. Anyway Sinterklaas is 
St. Nicholas and he brings presents to the good children on december 5. 
Bad children are supposed to be taken to Spain in a bag and punished 
with a birch by Black Piet who comes down through the chimney to lay 
down the presents at the fireside. Were supposed to be taken and 
punished I should say as it is all deemed too harsh nowadays for the 
child's soul. Sinterklaas rides his horse over the rooftops. A few weeks 
before dec. 5 Sinterklaas arrives by boat from Spain which is being 
shown on national television. Nowadays under police protection because 
of the protesters. When I was a child I learned many songs related to 
this feast. The days leading up to dec 5 you put your shoes by the 
fireside and Black Piet would put sweets or little presents into them. 5 
dec. was the big day, like Christmas in the US. Santa Claus is 
originally Sinterklaas I believe. These days Santa Claus is making 
inroads on Sinterklaas and Christmas is competing.

Op 21-5-2018 om 17:29 schreef Marc Aramini:
> sorcerer’s house. One is the funeral of skotos with three guests - one 
> of them is Mr Black, who Bax concludes is Skotos, though Hardaway does 
> not recognize him, even though he was good friends with Skotos. That 
> argues against Skotos being Black. The other is Nick’s story of he and 
> Nicholas being grown in a trough by mr Black ... clearly either that 
> or his later identification as zwart ?black is a lie.
>
> Bax sees a white horse in the middle of the story. While I wanted to 
> make this a kelpie kind of spirit, we should remember that the butler 
> of Herod (anachronistically) has the head of John the Baptist, who 
> proclaimed the coming of Christ. Bax arrives in January in Medicine 
> Man. Duke at the duchy of cumberbach makes a compelling case that 
> medicine man is Medicine Hat, Canada, in which a local legend says 
> that one man sacrificed his wife to the river to get the hat of the 
> shamans (see the pelt/hair of lupine). Kipling said the town had all 
> Hell as a basement.
>
> family. He gives gifts, but more importantly, I feel in doing his 
> research Wolfe looked up all kinds of house spirits, which include 
> Shinto figures, kikimora, domovoys ... and, in some versions, Knecht 
> Ruprecht, st nicolas?s Servant, is associated with kobolds.
>
> Look at this description, and remember that mr Black has a staff he 
> always carries, a white horse appears, Bax receives gifts, is beaten 
> by a stick, the prominence of someone pretending to be Mr Black, the 
> double mention of Nicholas, the position as a butler, and a man 
> dressing up as a woman (winker is called a He by Ieuan and later Doris 
> thinks the obverse of the coin features a man rather than a woman), 
> also keeping in mind that The house is called the devil’s house
>
> ?Knecht Ruprecht is Saint Nicholas' most familiar attendant in 
> Germany. According to some stories, Ruprecht began as a farmhand; in 
> others, he is a wild foundling 
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_abandonment>?whom Saint 
> Nicholas raises from childhood.
>
> walks with a limp, because of a childhood injury. He can be seen 
> carrying a long staff and a bag of ashes, and on occasion wears little 
> bells on his clothes.^[2] 
> Sometimes he rides on a white horse, and sometimes he is accompanied 
> by fairies or men with blackened faces dressed as old women.^[2] 
> originally represented an archetypal manservant, "and has exactly as 
> much individuality of social rank and as little personal individuality 
> as the Junker Hanns?and the Bauer Michel, the characters 
> representative of country nobility and peasantry respectively."^[3] 
> “Tille also states that Knecht Ruprecht originally had no connection 
> with Christmastime.^[3] 
> Ruprecht was a common name for the Devil 
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil>?in Germany”
>
>
> Nicholas’s companions are also thought of as kobolds or house spirits. 
> Bad children are punished by being thrown in sacks and beaten or 
> thrown in the river.
>
>
> occurs. He answers “you, um. Sir. Or the boys, sir. Emlyn, I would 
> think. Or both, sir.”
>
> The question here might indicate that nick is not talking about 
> someone being killed - and he is saying that perhaps both of the boys 
> are dead, grammatically. Unfortunately, there are still some aspects 
> this really does not explain (Ambrosius, whose name means “immortal” 
> being strangled by Goldwurm and thrown into the river, though Nicholas 
> has hands which strangle. And how this overlays with Ted Griffin and 
> Doris, though the names Ted, Ieuan, and Doris all mean “gift” - st 
> Nick gives them, after all. But at the end there are only lupine and 
> (two) emlyns. Kate Finn and Cathy Ruth have first names which mean 
> clear or pure - the last name of Thelma Nabor means to cleanse or 
> purify. The victims of the wolf attack are Martha murrey’s neighbor 
> and a nurse (she wanted to be a nurse). Finn’s last name means fair or 
> white - Ruprecht means bright.
>
>
> Bax rejects the valuable gift he was given and has to pay the price. 
> But there are still some things, like what happened forty years ago, 
> that make little sense and require huge amounts of extrapolation. 
> Staff, horse, gift, blackface (metaphorically), Devil, House spirit 
> and the name Nick might invoke Ruprecht here, but I don’t think this 
> is very fair.
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20180523/247ac188/attachment-0001.html>

---

From: Robert Pirkola <rpirkola at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 19:32:17 +0000

On May 21, 2018 Marc Aramini wrote:
>keeping in mind that The
>house is called the devil's house
>Knecht Ruprecht is Saint Nicholas' most familiar attendant in Germany.

Given the evil house and the connection you see with Knecht Ruprecht, have you looked again
at "And When They Appear" to determine if there is any connection between the two or clues for
analysis?

I would note that in "And When They Appear", Loki makes an appearance wearing a fox skin.  Just sayin'.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20180601/a3ce25a9/attachment.html>

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 04:14:33 +0000

I think he repurposed this use pretty thoroughly but he is definitely using
the Triple Goddess again too - the moon through the windows and on the
triannulis in various phases and the association of Lamia with Hecate -
both listed as mothers of Scylla. Finn as “light” and Murrey as “dark”
might even resonate with phases of the moon. As he played with the goddess
changing in Latro.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20180601/cc03a8ae/attachment.html>