Subject: (urth) general update and some evil guest stuff

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 16:48:19 +0000

Haven't seen anyone post in a while - I wanted to send out a test here and
update everyone on some progress on one of my last two writeups, Anyone who
hasn't should join the Gene Wolfe Appreciation society on Facebook as
discussion is far more lively there than here should consider it. So ...

an Evil Guest. Thanks to a ton of emails back and forth to Robert Pirkola,
it really clicked into place for me. I am currently writing it but super
happy. It's called "here's a coconut" and relies heavily upon the Perseus
myth. Gideon means the destroyer and so does Perseus, but the embedded
motifs indicate that enemies become friends - Reis first intends to destroy
Cassie with the gold then falls in love with her, and his second gift is of
diamonds. (Also, Abaddon in the bible, the destroyer, is called king of the
abyss and an angel of destruction - Reis is called an angel for the play,
and he has a white car to Gideon's black - lots of those color motifs going
on). Great Cthulu is actually the main character and shows up way earlier
than we think in another G.C., Gideon Chase, but he is like Hanga walking
small after he eats the King (Reis means King), though he still eats the
woman from Perth (perth- is the root word for Perseus). Klauser is a
reformed "dragon" and the first and last chapters are mirror images set in
a white house, in which the future and past ambassadors of Woldercan are
shown pictures of Reis, one when he leaves his ambassadorship and one when
he arrives (backwards, as the theme of the book is also that the future is
the past). Thanks to Pirkola also for two of the thematic strains: love
conquers all, and break open the dark coconut and it is white inside.
Perseus was conceived in a  shower of gold and Chthulu will be freed from
R'lyeh and evil when Reis sneaks the gold into his city - the resurrected
Pat Gomez releases the chains of Diana Diamond and they go off together in
the storm. The love Reis had for earth, his blue island, and for cassie,
will be assimilated into Cthulu, who becomes the hero even as he denies
that good and evil are real. the sea god Poseidon made Cassiopeia into a
constellation and the reformed sea god Gideon (blow the man down, he sings)
makes our Cassiopeia into a star, but Wolfe has found a way to make
Poseidon and Perseus the same figure. When Gideon disappears from the text
halfway through, the Storm King shows up - he is always the central
character even though he keeps being confined in boxes and in R''lyeh and
luggage compartment and the 1X1 space behind Cassie's couch etc, - walking
small. Even the bat creatures are redeemed through love in this book. Now
that the barrier to understanding is gone ... I will finish this writeup
shortly and on to the final one ... which is half written but is still
missing something, Land Across. I permitted myself one failure on this, so
in my mind now the project is an unqualified success. Thanks to all who
helped.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20190109/f911cde3/attachment.html>

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 16:52:38 +0000

Also, the Red Spot play reveals the Storm King way earlier, (the red spot
is a storm on jupiter, king of the gods) and its plot is echoed in the
denouement. Most importantly, the post Red Spot party actually gives us the
end, and "tiny" Porter Penman (Poseidon/Perseus) tells us in a southern
accent of BLACKstrap molasses that he won't send anyone to strangle Cassie
anymore - Porter is 400 pounds but he is called Tiny here, and Klauser's
own lost weight is an additional mirror:reformation, in this story, is
shrinking, as Hanga walks small when he is contained and harmless. Great
stuff. Wolfe is a genius, but we all knew that.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20190109/b8ba0740/attachment.html>

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 03:43:39 +0000

No dia 09/01/2019, ?s 16:48, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Haven't seen anyone post in a while

We're here.

> (...) Anyone who hasn't should join the Gene Wolfe Appreciation society on Facebook as discussion is far more lively there than here should consider it.

I think it's a major downgrade. No archival, no search, no reasoning, no structure.

I think FB messages with more than 200 characters but less than 2500 should be banned.

---

From: Eric Bourland <eb>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 02:41:10 +0000

Marc,

Still here on Urth.

That's a fascinating discussion. Thanks for that, to you and Robert.

Eric

From: Urth <urth-bounces at lists.urth.net> On Behalf Of Marc Aramini
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:48 AM
To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
Subject: (urth) general update and some evil guest stuff

Haven't seen anyone post in a while - I wanted to send out a test here and update everyone on some progress on one of my last two writeups, Anyone who hasn't should join the Gene Wolfe Appreciation society on Facebook as discussion is far more lively there than here should consider it. So ... 

an Evil Guest. Thanks to a ton of emails back and forth to Robert Pirkola, it really clicked into place for me. I am currently writing it but super happy. It's called "here's a coconut" and relies heavily upon the Perseus myth. Gideon means the destroyer and so does Perseus, but the embedded motifs indicate that enemies become friends - Reis first intends to destroy Cassie with the gold then falls in love with her, and his second gift is of diamonds. (Also, Abaddon in the bible, the destroyer, is called king of the abyss and an angel of destruction - Reis is called an angel for the play, and he has a white car to Gideon's black - lots of those color motifs going on). Great Cthulu is actually the main character and shows up way earlier than we think in another G.C., Gideon Chase, but he is like Hanga walking small after he eats the King (Reis means King), though he still eats the woman from Perth (perth- is the root word for Perseus). Klauser is a reformed "dragon" and the first and last chapters are mirror images set in a white house, in which the future and past ambassadors of Woldercan are shown pictures of Reis, one when he leaves his ambassadorship and one when he arrives (backwards, as the theme of the book is also that the future is the past). Thanks to Pirkola also for two of the thematic strains: love conquers all, and break open the dark coconut and it is white inside. Perseus was conceived in a  shower of gold and Chthulu will be freed from R'lyeh and evil when Reis sneaks the gold into his city - the resurrected Pat Gomez releases the chains of Diana Diamond and they go off together in the storm. The love Reis had for earth, his blue island, and for cassie, will be assimilated into Cthulu, who becomes the hero even as he denies that good and evil are real. the sea god Poseidon made Cassiopeia into a constellation and the reformed sea god Gideon (blow the man down, he sings) makes our Cassiopeia into a star, but Wolfe has found a way to make Poseidon and Perseus the same figure. When Gideon disappears from the text halfway through, the Storm King shows up - he is always the central character even though he keeps being confined in boxes and in R''lyeh and luggage compartment and the 1X1 space behind Cassie's couch etc, - walking small. Even the bat creatures are redeemed through love in this book. Now that the barrier to understanding is gone ... I will finish this writeup shortly and on to the final one ... which is half written but is still missing something, Land Across. I permitted myself one failure on this, so in my mind now the project is an unqualified success. Thanks to all who helped. 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20190128/1aff9a13/attachment.html>

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 03:08:50 +0000

Still have to edit that one heavily - thanks. Robert has convinced me the
salad dressings can match up to the winds. I need to make claims about the
large dark figure who sends Jimmy to Cassie, who tries to kill Gideon etc
before I am done with it - smooth out the edges a bit

On Monday, January 28, 2019, Eric Bourland <eb at pdx1-mailman01.dreamhost.com>
wrote:

> *From:* Urth <urth-bounces at lists.urth.net> *On Behalf Of *Marc Aramini
> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:48 AM
> *To:* The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
> *Subject:* (urth) general update and some evil guest stuff
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20190128/3ef59c7e/attachment.html>