Subject: (urth) Uncaged

From: Ab de Vos <foxyab at casema.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:47:32 +0000

Hi there,

I just read Uncaged a story by Wolfe collected in 'Rags and Bones' about 
a shape shifting lady. It seems a rather straightforward story but maybe 
it isn't. Neil 'American Gods' Gaiman is one of the collectors. What was 
his relationship with Gene Wolfe? He acted once the great defender of 
George 'Winter where art thou' Martin after complaints by fans about the 
next installment who feared Martin would do a 'Robert Jordan' on them.

---

From: Ab de Vos <foxyab at casema.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:49:31 +0000

Hi there,

---

From: Mo Holkar <mo at holkar.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 15:41:19 +0000

Wolfe and Gaiman were good friends, see eg: 
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/13/gene-wolfe-hero-neil-gaiman-sf>https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/13/gene-wolfe-hero-neil-gaiman-sf

And worked together on A Walking Tour of the Shambles: 
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Tour-Shambles-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0961035269>https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Tour-Shambles-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0961035269

best,

Mo

At 14:49 21/09/2019, you wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I just read Uncaged a story by Wolfe collected in 'Rags and Bones' 
>about a shape shifting lady. It seems a rather straightforward story 
>but maybe it isn't. Neil 'American Gods' Gaiman is one of the 
>collectors. What was his relationship with Gene Wolfe? He acted once 
>the great defender of George 'Winter where art thou' Martin after 
>complaints by fans about the next installment who feared Martin 
>would do a 'Robert Jordan' on them.
>
>_______________________________________________
>Urth Mailing List
>To post, write urth at urth.net
>Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

---

From: Fred Kiesche <godelescherbach at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 18:51:37 +0000

And more:

"How to Read Gene Wolfe"

https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwng0704.htm

In that fancy Folio Society edition:

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/neil-gaiman-gene-wolfe-folio-society/

Quality is bad on the video, but they even rode a merry-go-round together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2k_6zclwTs

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 11:41 AM Mo Holkar <mo at holkar.net> wrote:

> <
> https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/13/gene-wolfe-hero-neil-gaiman-sf
> >
> https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/13/gene-wolfe-hero-neil-gaiman-sf
>
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Tour-Shambles-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0961035269>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Tour-Shambles-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0961035269
>
> best,
>
> Mo
>
>
>

-- 
F.P. Kiesche III

Husband, Father, Good Cook. Reader. Keeper of abandoned dogs. Does not fit
into a neat box or category. "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square
book. Always, scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester,
on being presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman
Empire.) Blogging at Bernal Alpha. On Twitter as @FredKiesche
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20190921/24a1462c/attachment.html>

---

From: Ab de Vos <foxyab at casema.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 21:43:19 +0000

Thanks, the special F & SF issue dedicated tot Wolfe is in my 
possession. I never read it though. I am not a great fan of Folio 
editions. For instance the Kipling Short Stories I like better in the 
old Macmillan edition with the elephant and swastika, the Folio's are 
too big.

Op 21-9-2019 om 20:51 schreef Fred Kiesche:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 11:41 AM Mo Holkar <mo at holkar.net 
> <mailto:mo at holkar.net>> wrote:
>
>     >To post, write urth at urth.net <mailto:urth at urth.net>
>     To post, write urth at urth.net <mailto:urth at urth.net>
> Husband, Father, Good Cook. Reader. Keeper of abandoned dogs. Does not 
> fit into a neat box or category. "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, 
> square book. Always, scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of 
> Gloucester, on being presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall 
> of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at Bernal Alpha. On Twitter as @FredKiesche
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20190921/9b8e0e3f/attachment.html>