Subject: (urth) The Heads of Cerberus

From: adam louis stephanides <astephan at students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 16:02:17 +0000

I've also been reading a book entitled _The Heads of Cerberus_, by
"Francis Stevens" (a pseudonym for Gertrude Bennett).  It was originally
published in 1919, I would guess in magazine form, but the copy I read is 
a small-press reprint from 1952.  It's about three people from the present
who are transported by some strange dust into 22nd-century Philadelphia.
It's very much the sort of pulp Wolfe parodied in "The Last Thrilling
Wonder Story," and it's pretty bad, so much so that after I got halfway
through I just skimmed the rest.  But, though there are no thematic or
structural similarities I can detect between _Heads_ and FHC, there are a
few odd points of similarity which make it possible that Wolfe read
_Heads_ and incorporated some allusions to it.  These are:

1) A society frozen in stasis and ruled by a tyrannical government

2) People designated only by numbers (in _Heads_, everybody but the elite
in future Philadelphia

3) A library which the protagonist(s) are forbidden to enter.

I can post or email a description of the book if anyone's interested.

--Adam

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/