Subject: (urth) Re: ballistics table

From: Peter Cash <cash at rsn.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 16:46:31 +0000

Mantis wrote:

> However!  We know that Marsch was a pretty good shot, we know V.R.T.
> was a pretty lousy shot.  So, what's with the balistics table?
> Marsch doesn't seem to need it.  V.R.T. just might be able to use it.
> 
> Or is the ballistic table just one of the real red herrings?
> Something that Marsch needed a long time ago, but quickly outgrew
> (i.e., before getting out in the field), so in the field he can guess
> the distance and adjust his aim accordingly without looking at the
> table constructed specifically for a rifle of his caliber.

The ballistics table also strikes me as odd. It is simply not something
that the average hunter would bother with. You take your rifle to the
range, and zero the scope at 100 yards. (I.e., the bullet impacts at the
center of the scope's reticles at that distance.) If you run into a deer
at 200 yards and want to take a shot, you hold a little high. It's not
rocket science.

Someone who takes the trouble to construct a ballistics table is someone
who plans to take long shots, and want to be very, very sure of hitting
his target. A long-range target shooter, perhaps. Or a sniper.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/