Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v002.n010

From: Kevin McGuire <kmcguire at itw.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 00:04:30 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

I just wanted to thank Mantis for using the word crypto-Mormon in a 
sentence.

While I'm here, though, could someone clue me in on what pointers 
there are to the identity of Severian's mother and sister?

Thanks!

Kevin McGuire
Kevin McGuire    |"Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than
Philadelphia, PA | when they are convinced beyond doubt that they are right"
                 |    --Laurents van der Post

---

From: RRHMAH <rrhmah at aol.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 08:48:24 +0000

>  there are to the identity of Severian's mother and sister?

John Clute wrote an essay, published in _Strokes_, in which he came to some
interesting conclusions to those questions.

Rich Horton

---

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:29:57 +0000

> > >
> > >I define a Christian as someone who believes that he or she will attain
> > >eternal salvation through Jesus Christ. Severian has never heard of
> Jesus
> > >Christ, and he himself has brought salvation (through destruction) to
> Urth.

But not eternal salvation. He is only a "little Christ" making life
better.

> > 	Whoa! Agia refers to the Theoanthropos in 1:21. Also, in that chapter
> the
> > woman missionary (Marie - Mary) is reading from the Urth equivalent of
> > Deuteronomy 34. (1:21 = Shadow, ch. 21).
> 
> Agia's casual reference to the Theoanthropos (the only such reference in
> the quintet) is equivalent to one of us saying "Jumping Jehosaphat!"

Bwah ha ha ha! Yer kidding rite? "casual" references? mentioned "only"
once? That's supposed to mean it isn't important or significant? This is
*Wolfe*, you algid hearted pond-scum! ( :-) )

We only say Jehoshephat because there was someone of that name. How does
Agia know of any theoanthropos?

Mr. Sarcos