Subject: (urth) evolution

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:00:53 +0000

> Believe me, I have the bona fides in biology and can cite you the
> appropriate scientific literature if you like. (Evolutionary theory
> is a discipline of mine, but I refuse to bring up Scopes.)

Great.  Maybe you can explain why Wolfe defends Lamarckism (explicitly
and implicitly), but never really explains why.

And while I'm here...

I have nothing to add to the 5HC conversation until I re-read it.  My
copy is on loan to another Wolfe enthusiast currently.

Do you suppose Wolfe would ever consider a revised edition of CASTLE
OF THE OTTER?  About half of the original is totally absorbing though
the endless pages of him quoting his own reviews gets a bit tiresome
after a while.  The COTO of my mind would jettison the reviews, but
include most of the actual content of the first, perhaps with an
expanded list of words, the essay "Books in Book Of The New Sun" that
ran in PLAN[E]T ENGINEERING and perhaps a few chapters on the LONG SUN
books, since they're connected.

D

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/