Subject: (urth) Eoliths

From: adam louis stephanides <astephan at students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:33:06 +0000

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 Robert Borski wrote:

> "By sisterworld's light I have been looking among the rocks for
> implements--eoliths. I have found
> none." (p. 239)
> 
> Eoliths are chipped stones of the late Tertiary Period formerly held to
> have been made by humans, but now known to be products of a natural,
> nonhuman agency (weathering, volcanic action, erosion, etc.). I submit
> these are the so-called Annese artifacts he and Pop sell at their stand.
> Roy never made them because he has the same ham-fisted clumsiness you
> attribute to Victor. Personally I can think of no other reason why Victor
> would be searching for eoliths, but if you can I'd be happy to hear you
> out. After all I was clearly wrong the first time. 

Even if the implements Roy and V.R.T. sold were eoliths, I don't think
that's the reason why V.R.T. is looking for them now.  He hates his
father, and he's assumed the identity of Marsch.  Is it really likely that
he would plan on returning to Frnechmen's Landing, where he would run the
risk of being recognized as V.R.T., to pass along a few fake arrowheads?
If he in fact had wanted to help his father, wouldn't he have access as
Marsch to funds which he could just give to him?

As for why V.R.T. is searching for eoliths, it's probably to use them
himself, since he can't make implements of his own.  The Free People
didn't use them, but V.R.T. may not have been taught all the skills they
had.  Also, he's been spoiled by "civilization": slightly before the
mention of eoliths, he wishes he could shoot a large animal, presumably to
eat.

--Adam

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/