Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v013.n003

From: Neal Smith <nsmith at micro.ti.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:25:05 +0000

Alga writes:
-------------------------------
desk? That's why I say colonists rather than explorers, who presumably have
been trained in many skills. Or, if that won't wash, say that nearly
everyone was killed except for a few folks as dumb as me. And that we then
inbred and got kind of spacy, as I would imagine people do get under such
circumstances (cf Australia, if you like--hi Damien!).  This, it seems to
me, would create at least a rope bridge between you and Borski.
...

Exactly. They devolved because of lack of ability to pass on acquired
knowledge. Also (this is 1972), they're a bit New Agey to start with.
-------------------------------

With respect to the idea that the abos are "spacey" or "New Agey",
I think the addictive, (perhaps hallucinogenic?) drug that the shadow
children are shown being addicted to in "A Story" would provide this.

-Neal Smith

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/