Subject: (urth) Mine Shaft Entrance

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:44:00 +0000

Spectacled Bear,

That's funny, I thought Severian was afraid he would brain himself in
his passage through the tunnel from the dripping mouth entrance to
that point where it audibly opens up into a chamber.

Yet you tell me a tower can walk through it--amazing!  Just goes to
show how wrong you can be.

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:17:39 +0000

>show how wrong you can be.

Not through that bit! You said:

 Such a tower from the roots of the continent, how interesting!
 Perhaps it can go gaseous to get out quickly through such tiny
 passageways.  Or maybe the mine links up with a vast open pit with a
 long spiral ramp that the tripod can stump up to the surface.  Or
 maybe it walks through an essentially hollow Urth and finds the
 Tower Access To Surface Tube nearest to the battle front and appears
j ust in time.

- and I hadn't realized you meant the actual surface entrance
when you were talking about tiny passageways. I thought you
meant the deep tunnels (roots of the continent etc). I hadn't
thought of the tower coming out of the mine, you see; it clearly
couldn't, not the way Severian came in, nor would it need to.
This is Father Inire's machine, not one of the Ascians' that
fights in the battle, and it lives in the mine.

SBear.