Subject: (urth) Re: Wolfe's politics, and More 5HC questions

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:03:50 +0000

Dan Parmenter wrote:
> It's hard for me to imagine Wolfe as entirely "anti-PC"

Hmmmm.... depends how you define "PC", I suppose. If, like me, you
regard it as deplorable right-wing Newspeak, you're very happy to think
of Wolfe as anti-PC. <g>

Neal Smith wrote:
>         I had mentioned in passing the addictive substances that the
> Shadow Children used in "A Story", in response to a post of Alga's.
> Later, this made me think: how much significance should we attach to
> this substance?  I seem to remember a passage, perhaps the same one,
> where use of the drug is linked to not being able to use tools.

The Old Wise One says that the weed makes the Shadow Children "...gods,
and things made by hands do not concern us." This might be an
explanation for why the Shadow Children don't use tools, but the weed
seems to be very much a Shadow Child thing, rather than a human thing.
(He does go on to say that Sandwalker's people are the same because they
copy the Shadow Children, but then the Shadow Children have a very dodgy
sense of who they are. Later still, he admits that he's been getting
humans and Shadow Children mixed-up all along.)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/