Subject: (urth) Lying character

From: adam louis stephanides <astephan at students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:38:41 +0000

In _Castle of Days_, in an essay orginally published in 1990, Wolfe
complains regarding careless readers: "I have had them tell me (for
example) that they were completely baffled when a scene they had read was
discribed [sic] differently, later in the story, by one of the characters
who took part in it; because I had not told them, 'This man's lying,' it
had never occurred to them that he might be." (340)  Does anybody have an
idea what he's referring to?

--Adam

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:16:21 +0000

> idea what he's referring to?

I know this happens in the Soldier series in several places, and I think I
remember that kind of thing happening in FREE LIVE FREE too, but I can't
remember any specific examples.

Of course much more frequent in Wolfe is for the protagonist to guess
what's going on and guess wrong.  Silk does that constantly, and Latro
too. 

-Rostrum