Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v015.n002

From: Peter Cash <cash at rsn.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:47:17 +0000

alga wrote:
> 
> With due respect, Sarge, sir, this becomes a ridiculous argument, similar to
> that of science-meister scolex. The two of you are replacing Wolfe's text
> with text of your own, yours involving an elaborate background for Marsch
> and his for Aunt Jeanine. There a word for that, and it isn't analysis, it's
> fan fiction (okay, two words).

Like scolex! I am crushed. But not dissuaded! 

I fail to see how my central contention that Marsch killed V.R.T. is
"ridiculous" or involves making up text. Indeed, who killed whom seems
to have intentionally been left ambiguous by the Author; I fail to see
why one conjecture is innately more ridiculous than the other. True, my
"spy story" involves some ...er...construction on my part--you may
suggest a more elegant explanation of Marsch's motivations, if you like.
I would welcome it.

> >And what color are alga's eyes?

> Mud-colored. And I must warn you, sir, that fraternization between ranks is
> inappropriate behavior.

Since you are a civilian, madam, that is hardly relevant. And the
Sergeant is very fond of mud. 

Sgt. Rock

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Peter Cash <cash at rsn.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:51:01 +0000

Rostrum wrote:

>Does anyone know where the word/name "Forlesen" comes from?  Don't tell me
>Wolfe made it up or I shall be thoroughly disillusioned.

Well, it's very close to the German "Vorlesen", which means to recite or
read aloud. I suppose maybe Wolfe thinks this is a good story to read to
the kids at night?

Sgt. Rock