Subject: (urth) anti-antichrist

From: Ron Crown <crownrw at slu.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 16:56:50 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Alga, I was disinclined to the "antichrist" motif because I take the
word in a strict sense, i.e., anti-messiah.  If Marilyn=Mary (which I
was also disinclined toward--Now if Marilyn's husband's name was Joe
instead of Skip, that would really nail it down! though that would
really be too obvious), then the only "messianic" trait the shadow being
has (and perhaps that is enough) is being borne by "Mary."

Most people, I suppose, use the term "antichrist" to mean something more
general like "satanic," "demonic," etc. and if that's what you mean by
antichrist, I have no problem as that fits a general "apocalyptic"
scenario.  I liked your Rosemary's Baby comparison although you'll have
to help me out with the fine points since I've never read the book/seen
the movie in its entirety; my understanding was that her child was
simply a demon, not an "antichrist" or even Old Nick himself.  

I think we agree on the general picture.

Better?

Ron Crown
crownrw at slu.edu