Subject: (urth) Severian as the Conciliator

From: J. Schultz <jschultz at wcnet.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 00:09:36 +0000

Addressing the hints that Sev. is the Conciliator found in the BotNS

Apology in advance, I am writing this quickly late at night....

While their arn't very many hints that Sev is the Con, their are several
that he is the New Sun.  I will not go into all of them, as most have been
addressed in previous discussions.  The invovement of the Undines, the
disapearance of Ash, his identity as Apu-Paunchu, etc, all point to the fact
that Sev IS the New Sun.
Fact Two:  The New Sun is the Conciliator returning to Urth.  In the BofNS
the text makes it clear that according to Urth theology the Conciliator came
to Urth to bring about a conciliation between humans and the powers that be.
Having done this he will later return to Urth to bring about its renewal.
Few people, including Sev, think that the New Sun is ACTUALLY a sun.
Although it turns out that it is both a man and a star.
Using logic we deduce that Sev is both the New Sun and Conciliator.  How
could this be possible?  Sev. tells us while pondering the time travel of
the Green Man that the Concilliator (who is so powerful) must also have time
at his command.  Sev deduces that this is how the New Sun is really the
Conciliator come again.  And it turns out he's right.

FunkMonkey
J. Schutlz
jschultz at wcnet.org

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/