Subject: (urth) Ships of Hell

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 00:05:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #2461657 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

FWIW, "All the Hues of Hell" (1987) reminds me a great deal of three
other Wolfe starship tales: "Alien Stones" (1972), "Silhouette" (1975),
and "The Other Dead Man" (1988).

Numerolody and "23011."  This is a real subjective quagmire,
naturally.  First breaking point is where you want to break the
string.  FWIW (and that ain't much in this particular case), using
the Platonic system and considering the string as "2," "30," and
"11," we get BETA-LAMBDA-GE.  If "200," "30," and "11," then
SIGMA-LAMBDA-GE.  Which means nothing to me.

Getting even more wild and wooly, "23" is "the glyph of (nascent)
life"; "0" is "the Great Mother, the Void, That which lies beyond
the Alpha and Omega"; and "11" is "the number of Justice and
Balance," all according to E.E. Rehmus's THE MAGICIAN'S DICTIONARY.
(Quixotically enough, that =does= seem to have some bearing.)

=mantis=

P.S.  John Bishop, I'm interested: please expand upon PANDORA BY
HOLLY HOLLANDER as related to CATCHER IN THE RYE.

=m=