Subject: (urth) missing neutrinos

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 13:59:00 +0000

Damien Broderick,

I'm glad you mentioned the "missing neutrinos" belief!  This led to
scientific scenarios ranging from a black hole in the Sun (as the
ultimate source of the fusion) to a "dying sun"; and the science
fiction seems to have moved accordingly--Clarke's SONGS OF DISTANT
EARTH has the Solar System wiped out by a dying sun traceable to the
missing neutrinos, IIRC.  I think it is consciously used by Wolfe in
the Urth Cycle--a clever "science retro-fit" of Zothique/The Dying
Earth, using off-the-shelf items.

And recent news, "Neutrinos have mass!"  (Picture them in their itty
bitty little pews.)  Science marches on!

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Derek Bell <dbell at maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 19:59:05 +0000

In message <199807061408.HAA06316 at lists1.best.com>, m.driussi at genie.geis.com wr
>bitty little pews.)  Science marches on!

	Ah, but were they raised Catholic or did they convert, like
Gene? :-)

	Derek