Subject: (urth) Why does Ushas need the White Fountain?

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 14:27:18 +0000

Ok, all this discussion of the black hole/white fountain has made me
realize that, although I thought I understood, I still don't get it.

Urth's sun is dying for some reason.  Severian goes to get a White
Fountain, but brings it back to a different universe, to Ushas, whose sun
is, as far as I know, doing just fine.  How does this action help either
Urth or Ushas?

I imagine I'm missing something obvious that re-reading Urth or the
archives might answer, but would someone mind explaining it one more time? 

-Rostrum

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Marc Coleman <marc.coleman at mwcia.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 13:54:04 +0000

Ushas is Urth post-White Fountain.  The White Fountain is the new sun of
the same universe that Urth was in.

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 16:12:25 +0000

> the same universe that Urth was in.  

So Ushas and Urth are in the same universe?  Ushas is simply Urth some
years later when the newly restored sun has melted the ice?   Somehow I
thought it was more complicated than that.

-Rostrum

---

From: Marc Coleman <marc.coleman at mwcia.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 15:51:00 +0000

i'm probably right, I think!  just read it again...