Subject: Re: (urth) Urth/Ushas/White Fountain

From: Kieran Cleary <kierannwn at tinet.ie>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 11:28:43 +0000

The first mention of Ushas is (if I recall correctly) in Dr. Talos' play,
where one of the characters asserts that the new sun will cause the old
continents to rise with their lost minerals and riches and a new race of
monsters to appear. This Urth will then be called Ushas. [a long time ago in
a list far away, I speculated that these monsters were inhumu and that
Ushas/Lune = Blue/Green, the generation starship returns home to an alien
world. *sigh*. Would that it were so]

Adam:

>Since the New Sun's coming will kill nearly all of Urth's current
>population, the Hierogrammates feel themselves morally obligated to get
>the permission of a representative of Urth before sending it.

I think there is something to that. But more importantly, there's also the
whole issue of the Hierogrammates trying to ensure the appearance of their
cognates, those beings which once did or will eventually give rise to the
hierogrammates. Severian is referred to as the apotheosis of humanity.
Humanity is being judged as to whether it is likely they could be the
creators of the heirogrammates. If so, they will be forged between hammer
and anvil of New Sun and Ushas.

Kieran C.

North West Labs
Finisklin Industrial Estate
Sligo
Republic of Ireland

Tel. +353 71 69441
Fax. +353 71 69451
email: kierannwn at tinet.ie

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/