Subject: (urth) labyrinths

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 08:54:22 +0000

> From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>

> > >Mazes are puzzles.  Something to be solved with the intellect.  The
> > >Christian life is not something to be "solved."  It's not about the
> > >intellect but about moral character and having the humility to accept
> > >grace.  I think the equation of mazes with tricky stories fits much
> > >better. 
> 
> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Jim Jordan answered:
> 
> >        Well, it could be both, and probably is. Recall how Wolfe is
> >"God" in "The Last Thrilling Wonder Story." And while I cannot recall any other
> >titles, I'm pretty sure that the Author // God motif is found in other
> >Wolfe stories as well. Thus, I'd suggest that "A Solar Labyrinth" can be
> >interpreted either way. 
> > 	But consider: If Severian is walking a maze, he is certainly going through
> > maturation and conversion in his life. If "Solar Lab" is to be tied to the
> > Severian Cycle, then it IS about the course of life, in one way.
> 
> I don't think "A Solar Labyrinth" is about the Severian Cycle, I think
> it's about *reading* the Severian Cycle.  It's about figuring out a
> puzzle.  But I don't think "the course of life" is very much like figuring
> out puzzles. 

Labyrinths *are* a symbol for the world-order in ancient iconography. I
have come across older writers using the term to refer to the twists and
turns of life.

see http://www.eskimo.com/~binet/fengshui/labyrinth.html
and http://www.kimstringfellow.com/labyrinth.html
for just two examples.

Has anyone tried to make any connection between ASL (which to me means
"Advanced Squad Leader" but that's neither here nor there) and the story
about the ship that navigates the chain of islands in the Brown Book?

Mr. Sarcos

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/