Subject: (urth) Min

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 17:27:21 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

I recently looked through a book called _Myths and Legends of the
Sioux_ by Marie L. McLaughlin to try to find insight into the story
Tracking Song, and came across a story within it called "The Rabbit,
and the Bear with the Flint Body."  It's about a rabbit who wants to
make flint arrowheads and goes to get flint from the bear that lives
under the hill.  The bear's body is half flint.  The rabbit chips off
flint, but then chips too hard and the bear comes apart.  The rabbit
flees, and is pursued by bears, but he runs and leaps so quickly that
he escapes them.  He calls a blizzard and the bears get trapped.  He
then kills the bears.

This seems to parallel much of what Cutthroat does in Tracking Song. 
The bear under the hill is like the underground cyborg (or
anti-cyborg) Min.  He kills some Min and gets a weapon (the horned
staff).  He is able to run and jump faster than anyone else because
(probably) of the low gravity.  He seals the entrance to the cave and
traps the rest of the Min.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/