Subject: (urth) Famulimus

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:30:01 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

When I looked through _Castle of the Otter_, I noticed that the names
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus were mentioned, but that Wolfe said
he had lost his notes for them, so he was just guessing by the names. 
He says that Ossipago was the minor Roman numen of milk, and
bonegrowing, and that Barbatus was the numen who took care of bringing
the first beard to a boy.  However, he says that Famulimus appeared to
be the one who looked after reputation (fama).  It looked to me more
like it came from famulus (servant).  However, this name doesn't seem
to go with the growing up aspects of the other two.  There is also no
god I can find with this name or by-name.  However, there is a god
named Fabulinus who is in charge of teaching a child to speak his
first word, which goes along with the functions of the other two. 
Also, Wolfe made his Famulimus speak in free verse, so I think he made
a mistake in remembering (without having his notes) the role of
Famulimus.  However, I don't know if he just made a mistake in the
name or if Famulimus is an alternate or dialectal name for Fabulimus. 
Can anyone help?

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/