Subject: (urth) 3 *ship Yarns

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 14:20:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #5222338 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

Ron Crown,

Without rereading the stories I'll try to bolster it a bit anyway.
`It' being how they remind me of "All the Hues of Hell."

They are all on starships, naturally.

"Alien Stones" has a triangle dynamic where one of the characters
might/must be a computer simulation based upon the other guy (ambiguous
status similar to that of Skip dead/alive in "Hues").  There is a Bible
on the bridge, but it is in two volumes; and there is a strong thread of
Bathsheeba (biblical content on surface, similar to "Hues").

"Silhouette" has the triangle dynamic (I think) again, with an
ambiguous element (isn't it the hero?), and ambiguous alien
silhouettes analogous to the shadow matter world aliens in "Hues."

"The Other Dead Man" has the triangle dynamic with one ambiguous
status (dead/alive).  [The title seems to play off of a very early
Wolfe story, "The Dead Man."]

It is quite possible that these four stories are as related to each
other as the four island/doctor/death stories are.

=mantis=