Subject: (urth) Tin Toys

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:00:13 +0000

>Re: Jonas as Pinocchio.  Good point--especially since the goal of
>becoming flesh is there.  I think there's also some "Little Tin
>Soldier" in there as well, since in that fairy tale the tin soldier
>falls in love with a paper ballerina and they are only united in
>death.

It's "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" by Hans Christian Andersen.  Good
observation!  But wait, there's more!  In the story, the Tin Soldier
only has one leg, and he falls in love with the ballerina because he
thinks that she's like him due to the fact that he sees her first with
her leg up in one of those ballet moves that I don't know the name of.
So this parallels Jonas/Jolenta perfectly: the witches tell us that
more was done to Jolenta than just hair extensions and drugs, that
there appear to be bands of metal.  "Bionic" parts?  So Jonas falls in
love with her because he thinks she's like him!

>All of which is =much= easier to see than anything related to the
>name "Jonas"!  The easiest solution I can come up with is: "Jonas" is
>the new name given to the broken android after the crash, bestowed by
>the crewmembers who held him personally responsible for the crash.
>Talk about an albatross (around the neck of our ancient wandering
>Jewish mariner)!

I'll go with that.

D

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/