Subject: (urth) Re: Severian and the White Fountain (My Ideas)

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:08:27 +0000

Adam asked:
>Why is it necessary for anybody to "bring the White Fountain" to Urth?  Why
can't the Hierogrammates just send it?<

This is, IMHO, rather simple. The Hierogrammates are theological beings who
serve the Pancreator. As such, they judge the sentient beings of their area
and decide whether those people are deserving of a miracle.

Also:
<And if someone has to bring it, why must it be an Autarch?>

Severian mentions on the Ship of Tzadkiel that the Autarch is by right the
representative of Urth to the Hierodules, even though he rules a small portion
of it. 

Also:
<And if it has to be an Autarch, why Severian in preference to Ymar or the old
Autarch?>

That's an enigma, but my guess is that they picked Severian to show that a
person who lives a wicked life (i.e. that of a torturer) could become divine,
in agreement with certain Christian doctrine. The Autarch and Ymar were too
nice, or something.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
------------------------------------------------
"The darkest dreams are the ones that come true."
-Warren Defever

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/