Subject: Book of the New Sun

From: unc!tim <unc!tim>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1982 03:45:53 +0000

I've heard that "Citadel of the Autarch", to be released
in November or December, is the fourth and final volume of
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. I didn't know that the
third had come out; can anyone tell me its title and
publisher? Thanks.

For those of you who don't know, the first two books are
"The Shadow of the Torturer" and "The Claw of the Concili-
ator", and are available wherever you get sf paperbacks.
They are impressionistic science fantasy of the kind Moorcock
would like to be able to write (and I love Moorcock). I
strongly recommend them to anyone whose likes extend beyond
Asimov, Hogan, Clement, and other "pure" hard-sf writers.

---

From: inuxc!burton <inuxc!burton>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1982 04:31:04 +0000

There was a convention here in Indy the weekend of July 4th, and there I
saw the hardbound edition of the 3rd book of the New Sun, called
"the Sword of the Lictor". I haven't yet seen it paperback.

I agree with Maroney, both about Wolfe and Moorcock. The Book of the New
Sun is excellent, although you do feel a little confused by the setting,
and also the beginning of the first book (for that matter, the beginning
of the second book) sort of jumps you into the middle of something, then
later goes back and catches you up. Furthermore, a lot of background
is left unexplained for a long time (do you agree, Tim?), so that you very
slowly begin to catch on to all the references, terms, names, etc. This
to me was the only drawback to reading it. As far as I know, this book
has not been discussed much on the net; any particular reason?

	Doug Burton

---

From: kalash <kalash>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1982 05:54:15 +0000

The Third book in the "Book of the New Sun" is "The Sword of
the Lictor". It is published by Simon and Schuster (under the timescape
imprint). It is scheduled to come out in paperback sometime in dec. The
forth book ("Citidal of the Autarch") was supposed to be out in nov/dec,
but was canceled (no reason given) and should be out in January.

			Joe