Subject: philosophical background for Gene Wolfe's Book of New Sun

From: Ben Martin <rsfmdocs at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:50:34 +0000

Dear All:

I find myself returning more and more to WOlfe's Book of the New Sun,
and am trying to read it at the "third" level of meaning (per Gene
Wolfe's scale as ennumerated in the BOTNS).

I find my background inadequate to identify many of the influences on
his thinking, although some are obvious even to me (i.e. the Bible)
and some more off the wall that are not so obvious I speculate upon
(Godel, Escher, Bach?)

Any suggestions? I'd love to be able to read some of these
influences.

Ben
p.s. Are there any WOLFE/BOTNS devoted discussions online anywhere?

---

From: rikstroeb <rikstroeb at soleil.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:57:06 +0000

On 13 Aug 2003 08:50:34 -0700, rsfmdocs at hotmail.com (Ben Martin)

>p.s. Are there any WOLFE/BOTNS devoted discussions online anywhere?

http://urth.net/urth/

If you go back and read through the archives accumulated since Day
One, you will probably find yourself in the year 2004 before you are
done.

rik

---

From: djinn <qinjingyou at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:31:16 +0000

> One, you will probably find yourself in the year 2004 before you are
That reads like a BOTNS thing, where you go into the past and find yourself 
in the future. Wading in Briah?

-- 
With a silk umbrella  and the handle of a broom;
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay BOOM!
                               recited by Scar Gordon.