Subject: _The Knight_ by Gene Wolfe and his wonderful narrative technique

From: JavaJosh <javajosh at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:59:24 +0000

A marvelous book. In tone, style and character this was very similiar
to _The Book of the Long Sun_. It is a story about a boy transported to
a magical world, where he himself is transformed into a physically
powerful man. As is Wolfe's wont, the story is told as if it were
penned much later by the protagonist himself. That technique is what
I'd like to talk about.

I very much like this style for it's dispassion. This narrative effect
contrasts nicely with the action itself, which is often passionate. It
encourages a distance which maximizes the reader's observational
instincts, rather than immersive instincts.

In a sense, Wolfe's books are more intriguing for their voice than for
their subject matter. In a first-person narrative the reader is much
more entwined with the protagonist than with other schemes. After all,
every word you read is of the protagonist. Therefore even when you read
'there was a chair' you know not only that there was a chair, but that
the protagonist did not find anything much to say about it, and that
for some reason it was worth noting that the chair was there. These
small effects add up into a very complete character.

The downside to this technique is that the reader becomes very
sensitive to mistakes. When inconsistent language is used, or the
description becomes a bit too...authorly, it's hard not to see Gene
Wolfe himself bleed through his protagonist. Luckily these mistakes are
few and far between, perhaps more so in "The Knight" than in the
previous Wolfe books that I've read.

A second and equally important characteristic of Wolfe's narrative is
the implicit importance of language, and intentional speaking. Wolfe's
narrators are often correcting themselves, carefully qualifying their
statements, and generally being very deliberate with their speech. I
strive to speak intentionally as well, and insofar as Wolfe shows how
it could be done, he is writing a positive role-model. I very much
appreciate that.

There is more I'd like to write about the story of _The Knight_ but
that will have to wait for another post. In the meantime, I hope that
anyone reading this goes out and reads _The Knight_ because it is as
enjoyable as it is thought-provoking, has a good role model for a
protagonist, and most importantly it's a lot of fun!

---

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:16:52 +0000

How did you think _The Wizard_ followed up?

I liked the way the universe was fleshed out, but didn't care so much
for the people as much.

---

From: JavaJosh <javajosh at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:02:04 +0000

> How did you think _The Wizard_ followed up?

I just started that, Howard. There is a 20 year subjective gap between
the books, Abe is all growed up, and it shows in the tone. So far Abe
sounds even more like Patera Silk of _The Book of the Long Sun_ fame.