Subject: Severian (the torturer) on writing

From: Daniel Damouth <damouth at san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:30:30 +0000

I'm reading _The Book of the New Sun_ for the first time, and laughed 
at this:

"I know little of literary style; but I have learned as I have 
progressed, and find this art not so much different from my old one as 
might be thought."

-from _Shadow of the Torturer_

---

From: htn963 <htn963 at live.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:06:50 +0000

> -from _Shadow of the Torturer_

Reading Severian is torture.  It was the occasional vivid scenes and
well-realized inventions which made Wolfe's BOTNS series worth reading
for me, not the author's mannerly prose or his protagonist.  (Vance
does it much better.)  In this instance, substance triumphed over
style.

--
Ht

---

From: wjtingle <wjtingle at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:44:41 +0000

> -from _Shadow of the Torturer_

No argument from me. I got to the end of the first book and pronounced a 
Double Dorothy on all Wolfe's writing, in perpetuity.

Regards,
Jack Tingle