Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v011.n034

From: David Langford <ansible at cix.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 08:44:00 +0000

"Christoph Mnemonic" <mrmnemonic at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Judging by the danger and said low success rate, I think that 
> inhumu must be able to obtain enough blood and be able to breed on both 
> plants.

This is something that Wolfe briefly discussed when answering questions 
from this list back in 1997:

"[...]  the inhumi. They are fundamentally from Green, which is where they 
can reproduce ... on Blue they are tourists."

Dave

David Langford
ansible at cix.co.uk | http://www.ansible.co.uk/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 01:16:30 +0000

>can reproduce ... on Blue they are tourists."

Further evidence of no Blue breeding.

OBW p.126

"Would it be effective for us to dig up one of the recent inhumations and
release him to warn the others?  The thought recurs.
    If the inhumas' eggs hatched in our climate, would not our human kind
become extinct?  What tricks Nature plays!  If they are natural creatures at
all.
    But they surely are.  Natural creatures native to Green.  Why would the
Neighbors create something so malign?"

Does this imply the eggs can be produced on Blue but will not hatch?

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm