Subject: (whorl) An O, Wow moment

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 23:37:20 +0000

Dan Schmidt asked re Seawrack:

> Is this a common word?  It appears to be a synonym for seaweed, but I
> don't remember encountering it before.  I ask because I'm currently
> reading through ULYSSES and found it at the beginning of chapter 3:
>
>   Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more,
>   thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read,
>   seaspawn and seawrack, the nearing tide, that rusty boot.

So I looked in the OED and here is the earliest citation pasted in,
verbatim:

1551 Turner Herbal i. K iv, Alga..is commonly called in englyshe see
wrak.

O, Wow,
-alga

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 00:02:47 +0000

>1551 Turner Herbal i. K iv, Alga..is commonly called in englyshe see

Wow, indeed! If you come across a hus, and it offers to shake your 
hand, *don't do it*. <g>

-- 
William Ansley