Subject: (whorl) Re: Endymion9's IGJ Questions

From: Christoph Mnemonic <mrmnemonic at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 02:34:30 +0000

>p.37  When Fava asks Incanto to play the game he says not if it involved
>certain physical activities.  Fava responds "Oh, I can't run."
>p.45 Mora's Story (The GIant's Daughter).  Mora says one girl was good >at
>running and jumping (Mora?).  One girl was good at math and composition
>(Fava?).

>Question:  How can an inhuma be good at composition, writing with a 
> >delicate
>tool?  I've seen examples of inhumi absorbing personalities, does this 
> >mean
>they can absorb abilities (composition in the common tongue) also?

As we all know, practice makes perfect.  Also, Fava is said to be much older 
than she looks, even older than Inclito's mother, so it's likely she's been 
at it for quite a while

>p.59  Scylla talks through Oreb saying "Help me!"  Who later says "Watch
>out!"  Oreb?  Another rider.  My question is how much personality is >truly
>Oreb's?  Is it only when he says things like "Fish heads?"  since that
>obviously isn't a rider.  Rider's aren't concerned about the body's 
> >natural
>needs re:Chenille's sunburn.  Also "No Cut" is obviously Oreb's >thoughts.
>But can Oreb think to the level of "watch out?" on his own?

I would say that there is much more to Oreb than "fish heads?" and "no cut". 
  Twice in IGJ Horn asks Oreb to find something, and he does (The altar and 
a way for his horde to pass a swamp).  Obviously, there can't be a rider on 
Oreb _all_ the time, so I believe that much of what we hear is Oreb's 
personality, rather than a God.

>p,60  Incanto says inhumi do not like to use tools or use them >skillfully.
>Once again how can Fava write then?

Practice, practice, practive

>p.63 "What did you want with your brother?" the man of the Vanished >People
>asked him.  And he said that he had hoped to bury the corpse and pray >for
>the dead man's spirit.  "So I feared..."

Not a bloody clue.

- Mnemonic
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com