Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n003

From: David Lebling <dlebling at ucentric.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:45:30 +0000

> From: Donn Seeley <seeley at sover.net>
> Why are there no annotations from Hoof and Hide in JUNGLES?

Posting from work, so I can't give a page cite, but there is an occasion in
_Jungles_ where Horn says something like "no one in my family will ever read
this passage," or possibly "should read.."  In any case, it's immediately
followed by "We've both read it! --Hoof & Hide" or words to that effect.

    Dave Lebling
    (aka Vizcacha)

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:29:39 +0000

>followed by "We've both read it! --Hoof & Hide" or words to that effect.

No, vizcacha--you are remembering OBW.  That family/editorial frametale is
conspicuously missing from IGJ, which has very chilling implications (i.e.,
Horn didn't make it home; his manuscript of IGJ has not been seen by his
family; etc.).

Neat way to introduce uncertainty in the middle of a trilogy!

=mantis=