Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n008

From: Redhaven1 <redhaven1 at aol.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:38:06 +0000

The idea of having the Outsider on the cover of RTTW does not sit well with 
me at all.  Wasn't there a point in IGJ where the Outsider came to Horn on 
the mountain top and Horn specifically felt he shouldn't turn around and see 
his face?  After that, having the Outsider portrayed on the cover of the next 
book as a frumpy-looking giant with a goofy hat just seems wrong.  The idea I 
get of the Outsider is that one never sees his face, or if one does, it 
certainly doesn't look like that.  At least, I hope not.

-Steve

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Mr Mnemonic <mrmnemonic at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:25:08 +0000

>
>I hereby bet everyone on this list fifty cents apiece that the giant figure
on RETURN TO THE WHORL's cover is either a) the Outsider, b) Silk, c)
Silk/Pas, d) >Gene Wolfe, or e) some mixture of any of the above.
A) The Outsider?  As Steve (Redhaven1) has already said, that seems a bit
unlikely
B) Silk?  I seriously doubt it.  Silk is always described as a thin,
handsome young man.  That giant guy doesn't look thin or handsome.
C) Passilk?  Probably not, because Silk doesn't look like the giant, and the
giant only has one head
D) Gene Wolfe?  Coincidence, nothing more, I'm willing to bet
E) Mixture of the above?  Seriously doubt it, once again

As James Jordan said, all the covers show things that happen in the book.
So I say we just wait and see (and hope Gene Wolfe doesn't decide to make a
cameo in his latest book ;o)

-Mnemonic