Subject: (whorl) Covers

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at shore.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 11:54:09 +0000

> The Short Sun books are apparently being treated as planetary
> adventure; which is about the right subgenre, when you come right down
> to it. We can just bloody well like it or lump it.

Dan'l wrote great wisdom on covers, but...

I just recently bought the omnibus Jack Vance _Dying Earth_ trade pb (my
Lancer _Dying Earth_ is falling apart, etc.).  The cover depicts a genre
spaceship hovering over a genre future-abstract planet's surface.  This book
is published by Orb, which, as I recall, is Tor (Wolfe's publisher) under an
assumed name.  _Dying Earth_ is, as I hope we all know,
magic&fantasy&manners set in the far, far future.  Certainly a Unique, but
the people looking for spaceships are going to be very confused.

Explain that one, please, Dan'l.

    -- Vizcacha
        aka Dave Lebling

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:39:50 +0000

> Explain that one, please, Dan'l.

Easy. Incompetence.

---

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:40:17 +0000

> > Explain that one, please, Dan'l.

I dunno. It kinda reminded me of the scene where Rhialto and co go off for
the source of IOUN stones. Don't they have some kind of flying platform?

Paul

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:50:31 +0000

> the source of IOUN stones. Don't they have some kind of flying platform?

This is what I get for attempting irony on an email list. Damn it, do we 
have to put little emoticons after ***everything*** ...