Subject: (whorl) Cover of Whorl

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:48:18 +0000

I don't think its supposed to look like Wolfe. Is there any reason it
couldn't be the Mother? It could be vaguely feminine...

Paul

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:13:06 +0000

> I don't think its supposed to look like Wolfe. Is there any reason
> it couldn't be the Mother? It could be vaguely feminine...

No, it couldn't be, because of something Kevin Maroney said two
weeks or so back:

> The character depicted on the cover of _Return_ is new to that volume,
> and has not been seen (or mentioned, I believe) previously. 

...but possibly a being of the same sort...

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:11:32 +0000

>couldn't be the Mother? It could be vaguely feminine...

It isn't. As I said, the character on the cover of _Whorl_ did not appear
in _Blue_ or _Green_, or in any other Wolfe work that I'm aware of. (I
believe. There might have been a mention that I've forgotten. But I
wouldn't have forgotten the Mother.)

I realize that speculation is fun, but this is a dead end. 

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Unplugged Games 
   kmaroney at ungames.com | (212) 777-1190