Subject: (whorl) Subject: Kirkus review of RttW

From: Henry Kaiser <hkaiser at sirius.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:53:02 +0000

>Also, this time, Wolfe provides
>a typically elusive recap and update guaranteed to disconcert readers
>not already perplexed--

hmmm, no recap & update in the bound advance that I read.....

>Wolfe’s demands on his readers grow more onerous
with every volume.

I thought the "demands" grew more DELIGHTFUL, rather than ONEROUS......

H. Kaiser 

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:08:04 +0000

>I thought the "demands" grew more DELIGHTFUL, rather than ONEROUS......

Right, well that's because Kirkus says that you and your ilk are not "mere
mortals"!  Whoo-hoo!

If such a big deal is to be made of the labor, I'm surprised the duct
didn't just say "the conclusion of a seven book series" or even "the climax
(?) of a twelve book series," and then link Wolfe's Briah to Robert
Jordan's huge series (alga and Patrick O'Leary and I all remember WFC
Monterey and the fight that broke out over the issue of devoting review
space to the nth-volume in a huge series).  (And oh, those hard words in
TBOTNS!!)

Probably wanted to, but ran out of space!  Oh well, lump of coal for
Kirkus; another candidate for future humor in "Rotten Reviews."

=mantis=