Subject: (whorl) Clute review - spoilers?

From: Sheila Herndon <skherndon at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:00:31 +0000

Hi, on SciFi Weekly there is a Review of RttW.
Will someone please read it and let me know if there
are any spoilers in it? I've barely started RttW
and don't want to be spoiled.

thanks!

sh

__________________________________________________
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 
a year!  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:20:00 +0000

>and don't want to be spoiled.

My judgment is that Clute casually reveals the resolution of the primary
mystery of the novel, but it is not instantly clear that he is doing so.
More correctly, I think that if I had read this review before reading the
novel, I would have felt that he had spoiled the ending, but actually all
of the pieces are there long before the ending. 

If you're planning on reading RTW anyway (and the fact that you are posting
to this list, or reading it, or, for the greater outside audience, reading
its archives leads me to believe that you do so intend), I would recommend
reading the review, but only after the novel; Clute's description of the
novel is quite haunting. 

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:44:31 +0000

Wombat said:

> If you're planning on reading RTW anyway (and the fact that you are
> posting to this list, or reading it, or, for the greater outside
> audience, reading its archives leads me to believe that you do so
> intend), I would recommend reading the review, but only after the
> novel; Clute's description of the novel is quite haunting.

Yes.  I didn't like Clute's review of OBW, but this is a fine review
(although it might say too much to someone who hasn't finished RttW),
with some nice insights.  I finished RttW Saturday, and am so pleased
with it that, although I'm looking forwards to our discussion here, I
am also very happy to give the book a decent period of impressed
silence until a quorum have read it.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce