Subject: (whorl) Gravity

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:27:50 +0000

Nice to see the theme continue from Nightside's "You were their best
player.  It wouldn't have been fair to them if you hadn't played your
best." and OBW's "I have snatched the ball and won the game" through to
Horn's advice to Mora that fair means everyone is allowed to do her best.

Is this Wolfe's most didactic book?  I don't mean it reads like he's
preaching at us, but Horn seems to make far more observations and speeches
about what is right than I can recall from any other Wolfe character, even
Silk.

I had inferred from Horn's descriptions of the plants and terrain of Green
in OBW that Green's gravity was significantly lower than Blue's, but I
didn't see any indication of that in IGJ.  Did I miss some subtle hints
that Green has low (Lunar?) gravity?

-Rostrum

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com