Subject: (whorl) Wolfe Cover Art

From: E Dorian <edorian at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:40:59 +0000

I think the cover of the trade paperback version of The Devil in a Forest is 
stunning, and I would buy the print and hang it on my wall, if it were 
available.  (btw, internet pictures of the cover(like at Amazon) don't do it 
justice.)

Dragonfly

>From: jclute at cix.compulink.co.uk (John Clute)
>Reply-To: whorl at lists.best.com
>To: whorl at lists.best.com
>Subject: Re: (whorl) BEATING AN EIGHT-LEGGED HORSE
>Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:59 +0100 (BST)
>
>In-Reply-To: <200009021918.MAA02421 at lists1.best.com>
>A couple comments:
>         1) I thought the _New Sun_ covers were abominable. But this made
>no difference.
>         2) I thought the _design_ of the _Short Sun_ covers was
>philistine, and destroyed any virtues the covers might possess.
>         3) I think Jim Burns usually does very well with books he
>illustrates, and that these covers--if the art can be abstracted from the
>design of the whole--are meritorious but failed attempts at doing
>illuminations of a text of quite extraordinary visual difficulty. None of
>us on this list seems really to know what any of the main characters in
>the book look light at any one moment. Fixing this sort of thing into a
>visual representation is something Jim was not able to do. He was probably
>the wrong kind of artist for the job, though he is unusual in the fact he
>actually reads the ms he's illustrating, with great care. But find the
>right artist. The world of _Short Sun_ is immensely less fixable than the
>world of its predecessors, all of which have execrable art. Is there any
>_good_ Gene Wolfe visual?
>
>Best,
>John C
>
>
>*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
>*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
>*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
>ranjit at best.com
>*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: 
>urth at lists.best.com
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com