Subject: (whorl) The Whorl and Operation ARES

From: gac <gac at cs.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 13:11:04 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Has anyone noticed a striking similarity between Wolfe's first
work, _Operation ARES_ and his most recent, _Exodus from the Long
Sun_?  (Or, really, the last two books of the Long Sun series).

In both books, the main character is a teacher who is unwillingly
drawn into a rebellion against the tyrannical government.  He is
identified by the government as the leader of the rebellion,
despite his denials.

In both books, outside invaders (the Chinese, the Trivigauntis) assist
the rebels, but in the process, end up ruling.

The similarity struck me when Silk delivers his Second Amendment speech
to one of the Councilors (Loris?  Potto?);  John from Operation ARES
had delivered almost the identical sentiment.

We might draw some conclusions as to Wolfe's politics.

Geoff

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 13:49:04 +0000

>We might draw some conclusions as to Wolfe's politics.

	Yes, you can. Wolfe told me that he used to be a Buckley-type
conservative, but has become broader in his thinking over the years. He
said, "I'm big on freedom, and we have lost a lot in recent years." See
also Free, Life, Free. 
	I also asked him if he were going to re-write Operation ARES. He said no,
but I think you are right that he has incorporated much of it in Long Sun. 
	My whole interview with Wolfe is on Paul Duggan's Wolfe Page.

JBJordan