Subject: (whorl) Lily O Lily

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:05:42 +0000

> I can understand Silk's attraction to Hy.  She is the beautiful (movie
> star/pin up girl/prostitute) that many a young man develops a crush on.  She
> is his "Picture of Lily."  But as the father says to the son in that Who
> song, "Son now don't be silly."

Dennis, that's brilliant!  And how about the rest of the song?

"She's been dead since 1929"
Oh, how I cried that night
If only I'd been born in Lily's time
It would have been alright

For me and Lily are together in my dreams
And I ask you, "Hey mister, have you ever seen"
"Pictures of Lily?"

It's almost too perfect.  "Lily" fits the Vironese naming convention
as well as the Thieves' Cant; and of course since Hyacinth is partly
Kypris, this fits the subject of the song - falling in love with the
image of a woman long-dead.

And here I thought that the perfect Vironese song would be Oreb's take
on the Wailers' classic "No Woman.  No Cry".

Shellac

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 04:38:39 +0000

Dan Parmenter scribed:

>And how about the rest of the song?
>

Dan.  Thanks for filling in the rest of the song.  I hadn't carried it to
that progression and much enjoyed your insight. :)

Dennis/Endy  (Now struggling up to p. 219 in RTTW).
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm