Subject: (whorl) {spoiler} thoughts

From: Henry Kaiser <hkaiser at mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:04:42 +0000

Here¹s my list of questions / discussion items:

1) "Good Fishing! Good Fishing! Good Fishing! Good Fishing! Good Fishing! "
What narrative voice is that at the end in the final two paragraphs?
Is that Daisy writing the last 2 paragraphs or someone else? It¹s someone
who can look through a telescope to see the whorl.
Is that Gene's voice saying goodbye to His departing 5 characters in a happy
Catholic ending?
Is it Daisy be slightly humorous, and understanding the whole of the
preceding narrative text; making an Oreb joke?
Scylla possessing Daisy, imitating Oreb?

2) How did they get the Whorl ready to leave so fast?  Earlier, we were told
by the surgeon on pg. 331 that it make take ³...years. A lifetime, likely as
not.² to ready for departure. It does not seem like it's more than a year or
two later at the end of the narrative and it's already out of sight of the
naked eye.

3) How many narrators, total, in the 3 SS books, do you count?

4)  The Godling bothered me a bit.  It was too big to be a functioning meat
animal in a 1G gravity field. It was much bigger than Baldanders and it
didn¹t need to stay in the water. It just stuck out for me as something that
had no apparent technological explanation. Sure it came from the tanks, but
it was just too big for me to swallow.....

5) I noticed something odd at Amazon.com when I posted a little positive
review of the RTTW. At the beginning of a paragraph on Oreb, I said that I
was a sucker for talking animal movies. Amazon deleted most of that
paragraph and replaced it with (...). Maybe an automatic editor looks for
obscene language like ³sucker² and replaces it?

6) I am looking forward to rereading all three books and looking closely at
everything that Oreb has to say in light of the knowledge of the complete
narrative.......

Henry Kaiser